Re: Can't write to external 160 gigs usb hard drive

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 09:57 -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 11:11:48PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 23:39 -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> > Writing to NTFS partitions is fraught with risk.  If you need to
> > share data with MSFT systems, reformat the disk as FAT32.
> >
> Solution:
> connect it, start parted
> $ parted /dev/sde
> remove all partitions, make a new label; make new partitions with new

Who cares about the disk label????

> file systems (I chose ext2, one small fat32)
> commands: rm ; mklabel; mkpartfs

What's that?  Such a program isn't in (unstable) Debian.

> To verify, print to the screen, then quit
> commands: print; quit
> Remark: cfdisk failed miserably, may be because didn't change the label
> 	of the disk and udev was reading from it and mounting it NTFS,
> 	whatever reason, after using cfdisk NTFS still remained. (¿?)

Exact commands and error messages are always tres' useful when
someone is helping with remote diagnostics.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists in choosing
between the disastrous and the unpalatable."
John Kenneth Galbraith