How To Access Internal USB 6-in-1 Card Reader and CF Memory Card?

Just yesterday, I picked up a 6-in-1 internal USB card reader at a
thrift store. (For $1.95, I couldn't pass it up). So anyway, I'm now at
a bit of a loss as to how to access it. I have it installed and plugged
into one of the internal USB connectors on the motherboard, and
apparently, the OS sees it, as evidenced by the output from the
following operations:

Output of lsusb

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:0840 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 07cc:0200 Carry Computer Eng., Co., Ltd 6-in-1
Card Reader

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Output of lsmod (The bits relevant to USB at least)

Module Size Used by

usb_storage 69248 0

quickcam 75876 0

ehci_hcd 31428 0

ohci_hcd 21124 0

usbcore 118564 6 usb_storage,quickcam,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd

ide_core 141936 5 usb_storage,ide_cd,ide_generic,ide_disk,amd74xx

sd_mod 17808 0

scsi_mod 125132 3 usb_storage,sd_mod,libata

mount shows these two entries that might be related to the card reader
and the 4MB CF card that is in it at the moment:

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=5M,mode=0755)

So what invocation to I need to perform to actually be able to access
the CF card with cfdisk and then the mount command? I tried cfdisk
with /dev/sdd1, /dev/sdd2, /dev/sdd3, and /dev/sdd4, and just got:

FATAL ERROR: Cannot open disk drive

I also tried it as /dev/hde (that was what my Damn Small Linux laptop
with a PCMCIA CF adapter saw the CF card as), and got the same error.

Also, and these next two questions may be off-topic, but I figure
someone here might have some suggestions, there are two cables on the
reader that connect to the internal USB connectors on the motherboard
(an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe). When I have both of them connected, the computer
seems to freeze up during POST (getting as far as the Hit DEL to Enter
Setup screen). When I have only one connected (the one that has the
ground wire on Pin-4), she boots up fine and the OS sees the reader as
described above. If I have the other cable connected by itself (this one
has the ground wire on Pin-5 with nothing on 4), she boots up but
doesn't see the card reader. Is that second cable most likely the cause
of these problems? And if so, would it be advisable to rewire that one
so the ground is on Pin-4 like the other cable?

And the other off-topic question...

To connect this internal card reader, I had to disable the front USB
ports. Well, I would eventually like to have those ports usable again,
for when I get geekware that needs them (thumb drives, etc). Can anyone
here recommend an inexpensive add-on USB card that would provide two
additional internal USB 2.0 ports? Does such a device even exist? The
few that came up on a search on Newegg.com looked like they only had one
internal connector.