keyboard lockup at start-up - after kde upgrade (3.4.2)

After upgrading KDE (to 3.4.2).  I started having the keyboard lockup
problem discussed here:

The work around I found for this annoying problem (reproduced below) does
not work.

Complicating the situation is that one cannot easily drop to a virtual
console. The new login screen (after the upgrade) doesn't have the option to
drop to a console... and since the keyboard is locked it appears that one is
just plain screwed.

After rebooting a couple of times and hoping I'd luck-out I realized that if
I frantically tap the keyboard ("ctrl-alt-F1" after selecting "re-start
X-server") I can sometimes drop to a virtual console.  From there I can kill
'kdm'... and if I re-start kdm the keyboard problem is gone (like in my past
experience).  This is a very crude work around. I'm looking for a definitive
fix for kdm.

Does anyone have a detailed set of instructions for licking the annoying
problem?

Nikita's post ( http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/07/msg01217.html )
and the follow-up by Enrico Zini (
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/07/msg01268.html ) seem to nail
down the problem-- but they don't get me closer to fixing it 'cause I don't
know enough about where the relevant files reside.

Thanks,
Michael

KEYBOARD LOCK-UP BUG
August 27, 2005

Google
search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=X%2C+keyboard+lock-up&btnG=Google+Search

Keyboard lockup after X startup; possible cause

bug seems to be avoided with use of 'gdm' ???

----this site gives the specific syntax for defining the virtual console
http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2004-November/004368.html
---
startx/xinit ... - vt7