New kernel does not install

Hi

I've installed Debian stable, the kernel is 2.6.8.

Next, I download kernel headers and source for 2.6.8. I copy the
/boot/config... to /usr/src/kernel-source directory as .config.

I do a make menuconfig and exit with no changes.

Then I make a new kernel-image with:

make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --append-to-version -jp --revision 01 kernel_image

This should make a kernel identical to the one installed.

I then install the kernel with:

dpkg -i kernel-image...deb

The new kernel cannot boot. The kernel installed can still boot.

What is the problem?

Thanks!
John