Re: New kernel does not install

John Plate wrote:
Hi

I've installed Debian stable, the kernel is 2.6.8.

Next, I download kernel headers and source for 2.6.8. I copy the
/boot/config... to /usr/src/kernel-source directory as .config.

I do a make menuconfig and exit with no changes.
Then I make a new kernel-image with:

make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --append-to-version -jp --revision 01 kernel_image

This should make a kernel identical to the one installed.
I then install the kernel with:

dpkg -i kernel-image...deb

The new kernel cannot boot. The kernel installed can still boot.
What is the problem?

Thanks!
John

The stock debian kernels are designed to boot with 'initrd' so you need to add the initrd (man make-kpkg as i don't use them) option to build the initrd in the deb.

HTH

Wackojacko