Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 06:17 -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Basajaun wrote:

[snip]
> that addressed some of this. What I remember was basically that the
> userland utilities were far better in Debian, but the kernel in Solaris
> was more robust, at least when you get to "enterprise levels" (of
> hardware, multiple processors, hotswapping hardware, etc).

Part of that "etc" is dual/redundant SCSI cards and storage controllers.
Identical data is sent thru 2 SCSI cards, to two dual-ported
storage controllers (which is what the [rack-mounted, of course]
dual-ported SCSI disks are plugged into.

> I've had a little experience with Solaris 10, and so far, I far prefer
> Debian. But then I'm not using "enterprise level" hardware or have
> "enterprise level" needs, which might make all the difference.

Basically, "enterprise level" is:
- bigness (lots of CPUs, lots of RAM, lots of SCSI, HBA, etc cards,
  tape drives, tape silos)
- redundancy (hot-swapping, VAX-style clustering, Tandem-style
  duality)
- Gold Support that means a CE shows up at your data center on
  Christmas morning to fix a bad CPU.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"A peace that depends on fear is nothing but a suppressed war."
Henry Van Dyke