Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

On 02:53, Fri 04 Nov 05, Basajaun wrote:
> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > >
> > > Surprised?  That someone claims that their product is the greatest?
> > >
> > > That's very naive.

> > > Why ask us?  Have you Googled?
> >
> > Sorry... I just wanted to get some somments.
>
> "Sorry"? I hope you are being sarcastic. If anyone, Ron should be sorry
> for his bitter reply, not you for your question.
>
> I guess that Sun does the usual thing, claiming that their product is
> The Best(TM). I am hopelessly ignorant, as Ron seems to be, of what the
> basis for that claim is, or if there's any at all.
>
> I hope anyone in the list is more enlightened than me, and can make,
> for example, a brief comparison of Debian Etch and Solaris 10. _That_
> would be way more usefull than just calling you "naïve".
>
>      Basajaun

This thread could almost be considered flame bait, or even a
big troll. Not to be mean or anything but you might want to
consider what list your posting this too? Its kind of like
asking a RedHat mailing list if Debian is the best linux
distro.

In general to determine your question you really need to get
down to detail's. You need to compare each tool that is
available to both OS'es, you also need to consider what you
want out of the OS, is it a server, is it free software does
it support your hardware?

I would suggest give both a try, why not set up some spare
disk, and install Solaris then post back and tell us your
experience with the install and usage of the system.

If your an experenced *nix user its probably not a big deal,
you can probably get all the programs you use anyway. So it
really comes down to what the user wants.

For many it might come down to does it play Quake 4? If not
why not? Also what file system can I use with it beside's
the default.  That is one reason I don't use freebsd its not
that it doesn't work its the fact that its hard to get a
journaled file system for that OS.

Gnu_Raiz