Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Kent West wrote:
Basajaun wrote:

I hope anyone in the list is more enlightened than me, and can make,

for example, a brief comparison of Debian Etch and Solaris 10. _That_
would be way more usefull than just calling you "naïve".

I read something recently (wish I could remember where and what -
probably comments on this Slashdot article -
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/02/0418234&tid=90&tid=106)
that addressed some of this. What I remember was basically that the
userland utilities were far better in Debian, but the kernel in Solaris
was more robust, at least when you get to "enterprise levels" (of
hardware, multiple processors, hotswapping hardware, etc).

I've had a little experience with Solaris 10, and so far, I far prefer
Debian. But then I'm not using "enterprise level" hardware or have
"enterprise level" needs, which might make all the difference.

I used Solaris for many years for serious embedded development work,
as well as an embedded operating system. I've used Linux for just
about a year. All the GNU tools can be compiled for Solaris, and
it has a few which Linux doesn't have. Many more vendors build
versions of their software for Solaris than do so for Linux. I also
found the Solaris kernel to be much more robust than Linux. I only
*had* to reboot my Solaris machine (running on a Sparc) one time in
5 years. It was rebooted maybe one to two times per year for some
sort of upgrade or new install, otherwise. I find that I have to
reboot my Linux machine far more often, maybe every month or two,
to clear up some strange state (though far less often than
I have to reboot my Windows machines). I only saw Solaris crash
two times in over five years.

I can reliably force my Linux machine to get into a state where it
thinks the floppy is both mounted and unmounted. Then mount fails,
claiming that the floppy is already mounted, and umount fails,
claiming that it is not.

That sort of weirdness never happened with Solaris. I've also been
unable to umount the floppy, when I know there was no process using
it, using Linux.

The native cc for Solaris I found to be inferior to gcc, but
we installed gcc and it was happy as a clam.

I've used multi-processors with Solaris, but not with Linux, so
I don't know how well Linux performs with them, but Solaris
is great.

Linux seems to be more of a hacker/fiddler's dream, while Solaris
is more of a let's get the job done, it just runs sort of deal.

On the whole, I'm happy with Linux. But in a side-by-side comparison,
IMO Solaris is superior.

No flames, please.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.