Re: cannot get into X - after testing dist-upgrade 11-03-05

On Thursday 03 November 2005 09:08 pm, mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> I have been successfully running Debian testing for a year and a half with
> only occasional (and fixable) problems, running 'pt-get
> dist-upgrade"several times a week. Today I did  "apt-get dist-upgrade" and
> now can no longer get into X. Upon boot, the "NVIDIA" splash will come on,
> like normal, then I get dropped back into command line.

Are you starting X from the console or through a display manager?

> I have been using an NVIDIA graphic card, and the driver from the NVIDIA
> website, not the one from debian.
>
> Today was a huge upgrade and downloaded over 200 megs of packages, a lot of
> which were KDE related. I have tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" to no
> avail - several times.

If you're using the NVIDIA driver and have set any options manually, debconf
is probably refusing to touch your xorg.conf file. In the first part of the
file, there are instructions for making dpkg-reconfigure write a new
xorg.conf file. You might try those, and pick the regular 'nv' driver until
you can figure out what is wrong.

> I am unable to re-install the NVIDIA driver due to GCC-4.0 being installed.
> In the past I had used synaptic to force GCC version 3.3 and was able to
> compile the driver that way.

The nvidia-kernel-source package in unstable should compile with GCC4; I don't
know about testing, though. Are you using module-assistant?

> I am at a loss as to where to go here. Please help if you can. Should I try
> uninstalling the nvidia driver...and use the debian one? Is this even the
> problem? Thanks

After a crashed session, check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log, or try starting X
from the console with 'startx'. Sometimes you'll find hints there. If you
switch back to the 'nv' driver and X still refuses to start, attach your
Xorg.0.log file to your mail and perhaps someone can spot the problem there.

--
Ryan Schultz
"vi users are mammals, and they flip out and kill people *all the time.*"