cannot get into X - after testing dist-upgrade 11-03-05

I have been successfully running Debian testing for a year and a half with only occasional (and fixable) problems, running 'pt-get dist-upgrade"several times a week.
Today I did  "apt-get dist-upgrade" and now can no longer get into X.
Upon boot, the "NVIDIA" splash will come on, like normal, then I get dropped back into command line.

I have been using an NVIDIA graphic card, and the driver from the NVIDIA website, not the one from debian.

Today was a huge upgrade and downloaded over 200 megs of packages, a lot of which were KDE related.
I have tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" to no avail - several times.

I am unable to re-install the NVIDIA driver due to GCC-4.0 being installed. In the past I had used synaptic to force GCC version 3.3 and was able to compile the driver that way.

I am at a loss as to where to go here. Please help if you can. Should I try uninstalling the nvidia driver...and use the debian one? Is this even the problem?
Thanks