Re: nautilus cd-burner

gary <garys@mtaonline.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 07:57 -0800, Alexandru Cardaniuc wrote:
> > Hi All!
> >
> > I was trying to burn a CD-RW today with Nautilus CD-burner. But I
> >got an error writing to CD-RW.
> >
> > Detailed error output from cdrecord:
> >
> > cdrecord: Operation not permitted. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
> >SCSI buffer size: 64512 cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version
> >of libscg (ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c 1.91 04/06/17
> >Copyright 1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling'). : Operation not
> >permitted Error: Cannot gain SYS_RAWIO capability.Is cdrecord
> >installed SUID root? Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27 Warning: Open by
> >'devname' is unintentional and not supported. scsibus: -2 target: -2
> >lun: -2 devname: '/dev/hdc' scsidev: '/dev/hdc' cdrecord: WARNING:
> >This causes a high risk for buffer underruns. cdrecord: Permission
> >denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority(). cdrecord:
> >Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler cdrecord:
> >If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
> >cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
> >cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.12-1-amd64-k8 cdrecord:
> >Continuing in 5 seconds... cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may
> >have different drive dependent defaults. cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
> >cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> >

> > I am running cd-burner as user of course, not as root. Do I have to
> >setup SUID root? If yes, then how? Can somebody give me some
> >pointers? A pointer to some docs?
> >

> Haven't seen anyone answer this today, so I thought I might interject
> a comment = I gave up on nautilus cd-burning and command line burning
> a couple of years ago after discovering k3b. I'd encourage anyone
> having problems with cd burning to give k3b a try. -- gary

I would try k3b, but AFAIK it depends on cdrdao. And cdrdao is not in
debian amd64 repositories. So I thought I would use something else until
cdrdao will be packaged...

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting
started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small
manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)