The client-server terminology when referring to X (was: Remote X login)

On 10/31/05, Jon Dowland <lists@alcopop.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 03:00:26PM -0000, marc wrote:
> > Used on the client
>               ^^^^^^
>
> Beware confusing client and server when discussing X. In X parlance, the
> server is your desktop and the machine with the applications on is the
> client. This is because the X server is running on your desktop (or
> laptop, or whatever).

Trying to format this into human understanding :

The application has received some input, and now needs to respond with
output - a drawing.
The application (which is running on the remote machine) says "Hi, I
need someone to do the drawing for me! That is why I am the CLIENT, I
ask the server to draw my outer self. serve me! :)

The X server (which is running on the local laptop) obeys the demands
of the application and draws what was requested from him, that is why
the laptop in question is the SERVER. He served the application and
drew what was requested from him.

The significant resource consumption in on the _client_ and NOT on the
server as one would expect. That is because all the rendering, data
structures, CPU calculation cycles, I/O and so on is done on the
client. The server (in X terminology) only receives raw drawing data,
using the mentioned XDMCP transmission, and those act's in a vary
mature manner "He told me to, so I did it" :)

Is my analogy correct ?

/// Skipping the user interaction phase, in hope that someone could
fill me in...
If the laptop in the example is the server, and yet the user is
obviously working on that laptop... How then does the application
knows what to ask the server to drew next ? Who sends the input from
the user back to the application so that it in turn could instruct the
X server what to draw next ? ///

Would love to read some clarification on this subject, as it is known
to confuse a lot of (newbie) users like me.

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).

Do u GNU ?