Problems moving from KDM to GDM

Due to bugs in KDM being unable to run remote sessions via XDMCP - which
have apparently been fixed in unstable [1] - I have had to move to GDM.
However, I've immediately hit a few problems that I hope experienced GDM
users can help me with. I am using KDE.

1. The "Start New Session" menu item has disappeared.

KDM has this problem out of the box, but I long ago applied the fix,
which involves uncommenting entries in /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers
e.g.
:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7
:1 local@tty2 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :1 vt8
#:2 local@tty3 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :2 vt9

How do you run multiple sessions in GDM?

2. The logout options do not provide for reboot and shutdown. How do you
enable these options in GDM?

3. This is possibly a packaging problem. When I do
# dpkg-reconfigure kdm (or gdm)
to switch session manager, the runlevel configuration is not altered.
So, while /etc/X11/default-display-manager is altered, the system ends
up without a service to run at boot, and ends at the command line. Am I
doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

4. The KDE Control Centre seems to have two problems with GDM.

   a. Under System Admin/Login Manager, KDM is displayed when GDM is
both active and listed in default-display-manager. Is there a way to
configure GDM in KDE's Control Centre?

   b. Under KDE Components/Session Manager, the options do not appear to
work. Same question as the last one.

[1]
http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2004/08/msg00110.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2005/08/msg00315.html