Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

On Oct 31 2005, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
[Comments on xine]
> Yeah it's damn ugly, but I hear that it has some skins available that
> I haven't checked out yet.

I just don't get this "skins thing" that everybody seems to talk about.
I mean, I just want something that looks serious and that has usability,
not some toy with widgets that are sooooo damn small that I have trouble
pointing with the mouse (or, worse, when you have to work with a
trackpad).

Oh, yes, I *do* have contributed some small code to xine and read its
sources. It's actually quite nice, but the idea of using a non-standard
user interface wasn't the best thing they did, IMVHO.

> But the functionality is rather amazing and it's easier to use than
> the legendary 'mplayer'

What exactly is the problem with mplayer (besides the quality of the
source code, which is mixture of code with a lot of differing standards
and is not packaged in Debian :-) )?

If you're used to the command line, then typing mplayer <movie> can't be
much easier.

> while being more flexible than 'totem' in my opinion.

I'd like to know in what ways xine is more flexible than totem, as totem
(or at, least, some versions of it) use xine as a backend.

I don't know what exactly is the point where one thing stops being
flexible (like totem, as you say) and when one thing is easier to use. I
sincerely don't know how to balance that.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/