Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

* Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> [2005 Oct 29 11:04 -0500]:

>   disc burner [ k3b ]
>   e-mail client [ Mutt ]
>   file manager [ Midnight Commander ]
>   terminal emulator [ Xterm, RXVT, Konsole ]
>   text editor [ FTE ]
>   video player [ VLC Player ]

When I first read the title to the thread, I was thinking my answer
would be the free packets my dentist provides...  ;-)  Perhaps you
meant F/OS Software?

I am really passionate about my choice of text editor.  I love FTE and
it's my default.  I cannot stand vi/vim and Emacs drives me nuts.  FTE
operates the way I am used to.

For DVD playing I found VLC Player to work perfectly while mplayer
couldn't get the sound and video synced.  Plus VLC Player supports the
DVD menus.  I've never found Xine to be usable (maybe I'm just to old
to cope with "cool" skins).

Midnight Commander is simply the best system administration tool
available.  I've used it for nine years and I haven't found anything
better.

BTW, the Popularity Contest package tracks your usage of various apps
and is intended (I believe) to give the release team an idea of what is
most used.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of