Re: What blocks access to my host?

Aaron Stromas wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I had to re-install my machine using stable distribution. This is my
>server running Exim, Cyrus, Apache etc. It seems that when I selected
>a bundle of packages at the installation, it had installed some kind
>of the firewall, or did some configuration I can't figure out. Namely,
>I can telnet to SMTP post locally (telnet 127.0.0.1 smtp) but I get
>"connection refused" when I try to telnet from a box on the same
>subnet. For that matter, I can telnet on that box to localhost but
>cannot telnet from any other machines on the same subnet.  I removed
>ipchains already, but there must be something else. I am behind a
>hadware firewall, so I can get by without any software firewall. I
>already spent hours without any success chasing this problem.
>
>Many thanks in advance
>
>-aaron

Is there a telnet *daemon* running on the computer?  telnet to localhost
and telnet from another computer on the subnet are two very different
things.

If there is a telnet daemon running,  is it using tcp-wrappers
perhaps?   Check your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association