Re: QQ about apt.

Scott Muir wrote:
> (noob)
>
> I would like to know if and how it is possible to do a non-interactive
> install of an .deb package.  The pages I have read talk only of a 'yes to
> all questions' option which is obviously useless if the package you are
> installing has questions other than yes/no and so on.
>
> The docs also speak of being able to set *arbitrary* options in the command
> line.  This seemed to be more related to the apt-get program rather than the
> packages.
>
> Two examples I want to do are Apache2 and PostgreSQL which require some
> additional prompting.  The purpose here is to create a set of steps which
> can quickly install a Debian system from scratch, limit down-time and remove
> some of the human element.
>
> Is there a way of doing this?  I'm at about a 3 bananas out of 5 on the
> howler monkey scale.
>
> TIA,
> Scott.

I'm no expert Scott, but I reckon there's probably away to instruct dpkg to bypass the
pre-inst(allation) scripts.  It's during the execution of these scripts that most of
these questions are asked for the purposes of creating config files.  If you can put the
config files in place by some other method you might be able to automate the install by
bypassing the pre-inst scripts.  I'm only guessing mind you, but it might be an angle to
explore.

sebyte