Re: Mounting USB stuff

Michael S. Peek wrote:

Sanjay Debian wrote:

    I'm a n00b who's trying to figure out how to mount USB stuff.  I
    hear hal will
    do just that, but when I run "lshal", I get the following error:

<snip>

I had no idea you have to do so much just to mount usb. On my unstable debian install I can install my usb flash drive like this

mount -t usbfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

Ah, but I'm no ordinary n00b. I'm a Power-N00b, the most dangerous of my breed...

But seriously, allow me to clarify my question:

I'm trying to figure out how to automount various USB devices in a consistent manor such that a generic clueless user can use their own devices without having to remember whether or not that flash drive is sdb1 or sdb2, etc..., or for that matter, without the user having to even know what "mount" means. (After all, if I let users mount stuff, it's just a matter of time before someone forgets to unmount, and then they call me wondering why files are broken/missing.)

I have heard that the hal package can be used to automount USB stuff upon connection, and auto-unmount it upon disconnection, and that it will even mount it according to the product's name (if that can be determined).

That sounded exactly like what I wanted, but I've run into a snag with dbus-1 seg-faulting on startup.

My alternative option is to set up udev to recognize devices and map them to consistent names in /dev and then add user-mountable entries in /etc/fstab, but that may require that I create rules files for /etc/udev/rules.d/ for (potentially) every single device that a user may bring into my office, which is what I would like to avoid if possible. It would be sweet if the computer could just figure it out for itself, hence my interest in hal.

BTW, I'm running Debian sarge w/ 2.6.8-2-686 kernel.

Any help is good help, thanks in advance...

Michael

try this:

frank:/home/bruno# apt-cache show usbmount
Package: usbmount
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 116
Maintainer: Martin Dickopp <martin@zero-based.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.0.10
Depends: udev (>= 0.053-1), lockfile-progs
Filename: pool/main/u/usbmount/usbmount_0.0.10_all.deb
Size: 8844
MD5sum: 8749df3a52eb72a53f5aaaea6d5aab32
This package automatically mounts USB mass storage devices (typically
USB pens) when they are plugged in, and unmounts them when they are
removed. The mountpoints (/media/usb[0-7] by default), filesystem types
to consider, and mount options are configurable. When multiple devices
are plugged in, the first available mountpoint is automatically
selected. If the device provides a model name, a symbolic link
/var/run/usbmount/MODELNAME pointing to the mountpoint is automatically
created.
.
The script that does the (un)mounting is called by the udev daemon.
Therefore, USBmount requires a 2.6 (or newer) kernel.
.
USBmount is intended as a lightweight solution which is independent of
a desktop environment. Users which would like an icon to appear when an
USB device is plugged in should use the pmount and hal packages
instead.
.
Homepage: http://usbmount.alioth.debian.org/