Confused by modules

My ultimate goal is to run patched versions of modules hermes, orinoco
and orinoco_cs so I can run kismet or prismstumbler. I am presently
running 2.4.26 that came with Sarge but Debian doesn't offer 2.4.26
kernel sources so I apt-got 2.4.27 kernel sources, did the
configuration (including requesting the needed drivers) and recompiled
the kernel. My present sub-goal is to simply run with unpatched drivers
to prove that things are working before I patch them. I know the
drivers get compiled ok since I can see them, eg hermes.o with a recent
time stamp, in "/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27/drivers/net/wireless/",
however they don't show up anywhere else and in particular they don't
show up in or below "/lib/modules/2.4.27/" which is where I was
expecting them. The compiled 2.4.27 boots ok but since the wireless
related modules aren't in the right place the wireless card doesn't
work.

In the past I have always compiled stuff directly into the kernel
rather than using modules so although not new to recompiling the kernel
I am new to using modules. Am I correct in assuming that ALL modules
for the new version of the kernel should show up under
"/lib/modules/2.4.27/"? I don't understand why some modules show up
there (for example
"/lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o" is there just
fine) while other (in particular the ones I am interested in) don't. Of
course I could make symlinks manually but that sounds pretty clunky; I
would rather do it right in the first place.

Maybe there is some Debian page that explains this in lurid detail but
several hours of looking through the Debian site and searching google
didn't turn up anything useful. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?