Re: some changes after upgrading Testing (locale ,gv)

Bill Marcum wrote:

> It isn't clear whether those error messages come from your machine or
> the university's, but you can try:
> "locale -a" to see which locales are currently available.
> "dpkg-reconfigure locales" to add the locales you want.

I already tried that. I even tried setting the locales same here at my
home machine as the one on the remote machine. The problem didn't go away.

BTW, if I set my locale to be en_CA UTF-8, dpkg-reconfigure gives weird
characters round the border of the concole screen. Had to reset my
locale to en_US (or en_CA) to get rid of the problem.

>>I should also mention that some packages are yet to be upgraded:
>>$> sudo apt-get -s upgrade
>>Reading package lists... Done
>>Building dependency tree... Done
>>The following packages have been kept back:
>>  abiword-common abiword-gnome cupsys-driver-gimpprint
>>foomatic-db-gimp-print grip ijsgimpprint
>>0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
>>

> These don't seem to be related to the problems you mention, but why
> haven't you upgraded them?

I think it was something to do with the libid3 library. Grip and k3b
seem to ask for different ones. Then there seemed to be a problem with
cupsys-driver-gimpprint as well.

Anyway, I have since put a few packages on hold and upgraded the system.

->HS