some changes after upgrading Testing (locale ,gv)

Hi,

I upgraded Debian Testing (2.6.12 kernel) yesterday and notice a few
changes:

1. gv displays ps files differently. I can't say for sure, but
anti-aliasing seems to be different now. It appears as if there is
little difference between viewing anti-aliased file and viewing
non-anti-aliased file (pressing the "a" key in gv toggles this option).
I have:
ii  gs-common                       0.3.9
ii  gs-esp                          8+8.15rc4.dfsg.1-2.1
ii  gsfonts                         8.14+v8.11+urw-0.2
ii  gsfonts-other                   6.0-3
ii  gsfonts-x11                     0.17

2. When I do ssh to my university, I am getting:
couldn't set locale correctly
couldn't set locale correctly
couldn't set locale correctly
Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
$> LANG=en_US ssh -f -X username@host xterm -s
$> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ssh -f -X username@host xterm
$> LANG=en_CA ssh -f -X username@host xterm -s
The only one that seems to work is if I set LANG=C. I have:
ii  kdessh                 3.3.2-1
ii  openssh-client         4.2p1-5
ii  openssh-server         4.2p1-5
ii  ssh                    4.2p1-5

I should also mention that some packages are yet to be upgraded:
$> sudo apt-get -s upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  abiword-common abiword-gnome cupsys-driver-gimpprint
foomatic-db-gimp-print grip ijsgimpprint
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

Any idea what is going on here?

thanks,
->HS