Re: help: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Li Weichen wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have met a problem when boot my PC with my manual built kernel 2.6.12.
> The error messages are,
>
> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.13/modules.dep: No such
> file or diretory
>
> mount: mount point dev does not exist
> pivot_root: No such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> The same error is shown when kernel 2.6.13 is used.  What should I do?  My
> current system is debian-amd64 sarge 3.1.
>
> Thank you for your suggestions and best regards!
>
> Li Weichen

Is your HD SATA? The problem might be that in /boot/grub/menu.lst (or
lilo file) you have a line like:

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12 root=/dev/hda1

The kernel installed manages grub automatically, and adds lines with
"hda" for SATA devices, when it should actually read "sda" for 2.6
kernels. With 2.6 kernels SATA devices are labeled /dev/sdX.

HTH,

    Basajaun