help: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Hi everyone:

I have met a problem when boot my PC with my manual built kernel 2.6.12.
The error messages are,

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.13/modules.dep: No such
file or diretory

mount: mount point dev does not exist
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file

The same error is shown when kernel 2.6.13 is used.  What should I do?  My
current system is debian-amd64 sarge 3.1.

Thank you for your suggestions and best regards!

Li Weichen
2005-10-24