Re: How to make boot CD to run your curent hard disk installed linux?

Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
Hi,

I have installed stable release of debian (using the netinst CD) on a headless machine (no kb, mouse or monitor) . The machine also does not have a floppy drive. I like to make a bood cd of the installed kernel so that I can bypass the grub boot. Specifically the grub setup boots win XP by default and I need to have something that can boot linux on demand. (Note that without KB and monitor I am blind to grub interaction an cannot ask it to boot the non default selection which is linux) Since I do not have a floppy drive I cannot use floppy mehtod. Also I have been a lilo user (without initrd) , and grub with initrd seems a bit scary to experiment. I need a boot cd solution.

My little research and googling only turned up stand alone bootcd solutions. I want simple solution to bypass grub and boot the linux from the hard disk directly. Typically I use to copy the running kernel on the a floppy and do a syslinux on it to make bootable. Once done, this floppy will boot just like the kernel in the harddisk chosen by boot loader (lilo in my case) prompt. I hope this iseasy (if not already done). I appreciate any help/pointers.

man mkrescue