Gnome problems with sarge

hello,

I installed debian sarge recently from the DVD, and since then I've been
unable to get Gnome to start. It hangs for a long time at the point where
the 'toolbar loading' icon has just come up, then eventually starts up an
empty desktop with no toolbar or desktop icons. Also, the icons in
nautilus seem wrong when I run it standalone - there's no difference
between the icon for a file and a directory, for example. Is there
anything I can do about this, and is it a known problem? I can post logs
or system details if needed.

thanks, andy baxter.