root raid

I have compiled raid drivers into the kernel to get raid on root working. But
now I am trying to get another kernel without drivers compiled in to work.
mkinitrd did not add the raid1 module needed for the root partition so I
added it to /etc/mkinitrd/modules. Now the initrd.img image looks good and
includes /dev/md0 as well as raid1 in loadmodules. But md0 (boot) will not
assemble and it fails to boot. However, md2 (root) assembles fine. I have
tried the following kernel parameter without success:

md=0,/dev/hda1,/dev/hdc1,/dev/hde1

menu.list:

    106 title       Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-2-386
    107 root        (hd0,0)
    108 kernel      /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386 root=/dev/md2 ro
md=0,/dev/hda1,/dev/hdc1,/dev/hde1
    109 initrd      /initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386
    110 savedefault
    111 boot