Re: partitioning and formatting external usb hd

steef wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Robert Epprecht wrote:

Excuse this probably very stupid question,
but before I shoot myself in my feets I'd rather ask...

I've got my first external usb hd

which one?

 and can mount it without problems as

/dev/sda1 on my Debian/Sarge machine (kernel 2.4.27-2-386). It's formatted
as vfat and I want to keep a small vfat partition but for the main part
putting ext3 or something on it.

As this is my first experience with this type of hardware I want to double check on the list if I can do that using 'fdisk /dev/sda' and then 'mkfs.ext3'
just as on oldstile ide disks?

How can you go wrong? There is nothing on it. Cfdisk is a little easier. 'cfdisk /dev/sda' and just partition it the way you want. Then after that the mkfs command.

that's right hugo. however: this kind of escapades *must* be supported by the bios. had this summer a rather nasty experience with an older machine of which the bios did not support this kind af action,

so be prudent: it can be tricky.

Good point. I presumed OP just bought it, the reason I asked.