Re: partitioning and formatting external usb hd

steef <steefvanduin@zonnet.nl> writes:

> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>
>> Robert Epprecht wrote:
>>
>>> Excuse this probably very stupid question,
>>> but before I shoot myself in my feets I'd rather ask...

>>>  and can mount it without problems as
>>> /dev/sda1 on my Debian/Sarge machine (kernel 2.4.27-2-386). It's
>>> formatted
>>> as vfat and I want to keep a small vfat partition but for the main part
>>> putting ext3 or something on it.
>>>
>>> As this is my first experience with this type of hardware I want to
>>> double
>>> check on the list if I can do that using 'fdisk /dev/sda' and then
>>> 'mkfs.ext3'
>>> just as on oldstile ide disks?

>> How can you go wrong?

> that's right hugo. however: this kind of escapades *must*  be supported
> by the bios. had this summer a rather nasty experience with an older
> machine of which the bios did not support this kind af action,
>
> so be prudent: it can be tricky.

That does not surprise me too much ;-)   that's why I asked...

BTW: my hd is a very new model, but my mb and bios is not.
So maybe I was lucky that I have changed my mind (I do not really need
a vfat partition for os compatibility's sake) and left the hd with one
huge partition. Of course I put another filesystem on it ;-)

Thank you,
Robert Epprecht