Re: Running > 4GB of Memory

On Friday 21 October 2005 04:22, Mark Hansen wrote:
> Thanks.  Here are a couple follow-up question then.
>
> (1) If I start 2 separate VMWare processes, they should each be able to
> grab 3GB of memory (more or less) - is that right?
>
> (2) My Dell box has 2 Xeon processors and I'm running the SMP kernel.
> Even without CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G, should the 2 processor "split" access to
> the memory, so that I can run 2 processes - one on each processor - that
> have access to 3GB (more or less) each?
>
> -- Mark
>
> Aurelien Ricard wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> >> Build your own kernel, setting the appropriate HIGHMEM option.
> >>
> >>  $ grep HIGHMEM /boot/config-2.6.12-1-386
> >>  CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
> >>  # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
> >>  # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
> >
> > Ron's right, you need to rebuild your kernel with high memory support
> > enabled and everything gonna be OK with you 6GB

Each Vmware guest you setup has a config file where you specify how much
memory to allocate to each VM. You also tell each VM what hardware to use,
only one OS..guest or host can use a piece of hardware, i.e. a serial port,
usb port. I have heard that you can attach a VM session to a cpu but I
haven't tried this.
--
Greg Madden