Re: Dial-up modem 'No CARRIER'

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:49:14 +0100
marc considered, crafted and sent:

>|---  Yes, I've tried that, but no joy.
>|---
>|---  > Also try to connect with a terminal
>|---  > program such as minicom. Sometimes you can find clues to the
problem by
>|---  > entering and watching everything as it happens.
>|---
>|---  Thanks for the suggestion, but I've run out of energy on this
machine.
>|---  Sadly, it looks like I'm going back to Windows on the laptop for
another
>|---  year or two. I have one more query on this problem that's
outstanding on
>|---  the modem.hsf forum that might bear fruit, though.
>|---
>|---  --
>|---  Best,
>|---  Marc

Sorry to hear it, and feel for your frustration.

I too had to work in windows for 6 months on this laptop. Couldn't
connetc to the net at all. I googled till my fingers bled, found nothing
that helped, nothing that worked. I kept booting back into Mandrake 10.0
to try and get it working when I found something else that might apply,
might just make it happen.

Finally decided I was an idiot for not checking this lappy to make
certain that it had a serial port installed. Thought I would be doomed
to use windows until this machine broke.

I was a Mandrake user, and through the USB - Serial cable the system
would connect through kppp, but pppd just wouldn't pick it up. Timed out
and left me connected with the modem but the system unable to get in.

So I tried Debian Sarge as a sort of last resort, and here I am. Thanks
to some help from this list, as I had a few other problems that I
couldn't understand, and which didn't happen in Mandrake.

It's probably of no use, but what i did when I installed on this lappy.
Installed the base system. Enabled <PPP Modules 2.4.27-2-386>
during the install, because remember I was already paranoid about this.
Rebooted.

Then configured the connection before the configuring <apt> The system
connected during the <apt configuration> and I was there, After that I
have never had any problem with typing <pon> at the command prompt. It
connects every time like it was on rails.

Probably no help at all, but this machine is an Acer 1355LC.

Good luck,

Registered Linux User:- 329524
Simplicity doesn't mean to live in misery and poverty. You have what you
need, and you don't want what you don't need.

Debian Sarge 3.1.......... loving it