Re: Ready to join the club..

Antony Gelberg wrote:

He is new to Debian but sounds like he has a decent understanding of
PCs.  If he is stupid enough to delete his Windows partition during the
install, it will certainly be the kind of mistake he learns from.  :)

d-i is very friendly and I think he should proceed with both drives
connected.

Easy enough to say when somebody else's data is at risk, and the friendliness
of all the strangers in the world may not be enough to recover his lost data.

Moreover the reference to stupidity doesn't seem to cover the possibility of
bugs or poor design in the installation routine, which could cause or contribute
to catastrophic data loss.

Furthermore since you are using separate hard drives, you can probably
select the boot drive using the BIOS boot device selection menu (e.g.
F8->Boot Menu)
available on newer motherboards.  There is probably no need in your
case to use a boot loader for OS selection.

Talk about making an inelegant solution (dual-booting) even more so.

Elegance is in the eye of the beholder.  To me, such redundancy does not seem
elegant in the least, just a source of additional complexity and modes of failure.