Re: OT: Damaged harddisk and/or disk controller - ps

On torsdag 20 oktober 2005, 18:38, Marty wrote:
> That looks familiar.

OK!

> In my case it also warned of imminent drive failure,

It said nothing about that...

> smartctl -H indicated that the disk was failing,

OK, I get:
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

(PASSED on hdb too)

> and the
> BIOS SMART function warned about the disk.  Swapping out the power
> supply seems to have cleared up all problems and the disk now passes
> all tests.

Cool! :-)

> Of course there's a chance your drive motor could really
> be failing.

Yeah...

> Surge performance has nothing to do with steady state power or heat
> dissapation.  It's the ability to handle transient loads, and depends
> mostly on the quality of the design and components in the power
> supply. It may also be related to component aging or other
> degradation of the power supply.

Yup, sure.

> > Is there any way I can measure the actual consumption?
>
> You probably need a storage scope and current probe.

Hmmm, OK. I don't have that here. I suppose I could find a lab at my old
uni and scare someone into helping though, but I'm not sure it is worth
the effort.

> > I don't have a more powerful
> > PSU available, and the cost of that means it gets even harder to
> > decide what is the right thing to do... Since I need a larger disk
> > anyway...
>
> If it's the power supply, then you may need to retire it anyway.

Yup. But in that case, I'd like one of these...:
http://www.ups2.com/
and I have been holding off on that, under the assumption that my
current PSU is actually OK...

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer