Re: OT: Damaged harddisk and/or disk controller - ps

On torsdag 20 oktober 2005, 01:27, Marty wrote:
> It could be a spin-up problem due to a worn out motor.

Right. It is actually something like that that's my primary suspect.

> This would
> probably be reported by smartctl from the package smartmontools.

Ah, thanks for the pointer!

Got the daemon installed now, and did a run, I'm seeing these errors:

Error 149 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1024 hours (42 days + 16
hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
unknown state.
Error 148 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1024 hours (42 days + 16
hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
unknown state.
Error 147 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1017 hours (42 days + 9
hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
unknown state.
Error 146 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1017 hours (42 days + 9
hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
unknown state.
Error 145 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1017 hours (42 days + 9
hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
unknown state.

Does that mean anything to you....?

>  It's also possible that your power supply can't handle the powerup
> surge, and this can also mimic the motor spin-up problem.  I've
> recently had this problem.  Try swapping the power supply, preferable
> with a more powerful one.

OK, it could be, but I put my hand in there last night after Alvin's
post, and again this morning after power-up, and the PSU is cool, so it
is nothing to indicate it is over-heated, at least. Furthermore, it is
a 340W PSU, which should, according to spec, give more than enough
power for my system, unless it is something wrong with it, of course...

Is there any way I can measure the actual consumption? It would be
interesting from several perspectives. I don't have a more powerful PSU
available, and the cost of that means it gets even harder to decide
what is the right thing to do... Since I need a larger disk anyway...

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer