Re: NFS shares over the internet

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 05:45:20PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 12:05 pm, David Dawson wrote:
> > I am experimenting with NSF mounts over the internet.
> > So far,  the share works on the local network between my two local
> > machines, but only "sort of" on the remote machine.

NFS may be attempting to use UDP - Unreliable Datagram Protocol (IIRC).
Mount using TCP/IP. Be aware the protocol wasn't necessarily designed
for use over a very wide area network - mounting it to one machine and
then using ssh between machines is a better bet. Alternatively, shfs and sfs
are available as Debian packages and might be better in this situation.

> Try setting up a VPN with the remote network and using that for communication
> between the two sites.  NFS might have a better shot at working well if it's
> only crossing "one" network (not to mention having NFS through a secure
> tunnel is more secure).

Seconded.

HTH,

Andy