NFS shares over the internet

I am experimenting with NSF mounts over the internet.
So far,  the share works on the local network between my two local
machines, but only "sort of" on the remote machine.
The two local machines are running Debian Sarge and the NSF server is
running the 2.6.8-2-386 Debian kernel.
The other local machine and the remote are running 2.4.x kernels.
both local machines are connected to a router with a firewall. I have
opened up port 2049 to the remote machine (TCP & UDP).

the remote machine can ls the share, send and receive small files (say 100
bytes) but when an attempt to send or receive a larger file is made, the
konqueror process reports 'stalled' and goes into uninterruptable sleep.

Would Samba work any better?  Is there a proper NSF solution?
Thanks
--
...Dave Dawson

"If you wrestle in the mud with a pig,
you both get dirty, and the pig likes it."