Re: new users

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:44:57PM +0100, m@de-minimis.co.uk wrote:

> >I'm slowly developing myself a web-toolbox that I can access from
> >anywhere.  Anyone know where I can get a web-based antivirus client
> >(applet) for windows that I can host for personal use?  Oh and how about

Not really prcticable: as ever, for most decent Windows based software
you need to pay. AVG might have something - but see Max's cogent comments
below: it is almost infeasible to put something in place without weakening
your security impossibly.  How do you virus check the web applet you
put on your machine for the first time? (And, indeed, do you open your machine'shard disk to the world on the other end of your 'Net connection? "Virus found:
will disinfect files" - subvert that and over the Internet and you have a fun
way to wipe people's data from their lives ... )

> You could have an applet that scanned documents but you haven't a hope of
> doing a full antivirus with an applet.  The whole "applet inside sandbox
> where it can't hurt mummy" strategy also means that the applet can't read
> arbitrary files or watch process behaviour - and I'd hope so too!  At
> least that's the default security setting.  I've never looked for ways of
> loosening those settings, maybe they exist.  Mommy, remember to lock the
> computer down after you've finished fixing her up!  A java application -
> more scope for that.

Should you need to virus scan a machine that you fear may be infected:
boot a Knoppix disk (which runs Linux in a RAM disk without touching the
hard drive particularly) and use ClamAV from there.

Should you be wiped out with a virus that proves ineradicable, Helix
is one form of disk forensics tool which may be used to reconstitute
your files if the worst happens. Also Knoppix based, as is the
Penguin Sleuth Kit

HTH,

Andy