Re: Best practices for installing Debian in a new disk?

On 17:46 Tue 18 Oct     , Bruno Buys wrote:
> I'm reinstalling my system onto a new sata disk I just purchased. I'd
> like to know what best practices people do, in order to get through this
> with the least possible hassle.
> I'm really just installing Debian in the new disk, and I'd like to have
> the new system as closely resembling the current as possible, in terms
> of installed software and configs.
> The current system runs off a ide disk. I'm keeping the ide disk in the
> computer, but, as said before, the system will run from the sata disk.

Why not just copy over the whole Debian partition from the ide disk to
the new disk. I have done this many times without a problem. I make a new
partition on the new disk as the target and cd into / dir of the old disk
then:

cp -ax * /target

If necessary then edit the /etc/fstab and /etc/network/interfaces.
Then install lilo or grub on the new disk and it's good to go.