Re: /dev/cdrom mounting

Justin Guerin on 18/10/05 16:31, wrote:
On Monday 17 October 2005 17:19, J Merritt wrote:
I like the way k3b works on the Debian side. Better than how it works on
the Mandrake side. In Debian, however, I'm having a problem that I'm sure
has a simple solution. I do not have automount enabled. I'm assuming it's
something you do with /etc/fstab (?). So what I do is shell out, su, and
'mount -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom'. This works fine for reading a single CD
or DVD. However, after I enter the command, it will not allow me to
'umount /dev/cdrom'. It keeps saying the device is busy. What do I need
to do to get it to eject the media? How can I enable automounting the way
it does it in Mdk? Or is it part of the same issue?

You should check out the fuser command. The -m switch may help. Once you figure out which process is accessing the mounted disk, you can stop that process.

Alternately, if you can't stop the process, you can do a lazy unmount. Check the umount man page for a complete description.

As others have said, you'll have to install the autofs package to get automounting, or use one of the other suggested solutions.

You'll probably find that it's nautilus-throbber hanging on to it. Happened to me at the weekend unexpectedly. Don't know where it came from now, never had the issue before.

Adam
--

Live in hope, die in despair.