/dev/cdrom mounting

I have been using Debian for about 2 months now after having used Mandrakelinux 10.1 for a much longer time. In Mandrake, the DVD/CD-writer will automount and auto-unmount whenever you insert or eject DVD/CD media. It has other issues, however.

I like the way k3b works on the Debian side. Better than how it works on the Mandrake side. In Debian, however, I'm having a problem that I'm sure has a simple solution. I do not have automount enabled. I'm assuming it's something you do with /etc/fstab (?). So what I do is shell out, su, and 'mount -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom'. This works fine for reading a single CD or DVD. However, after I enter the command, it will not allow me to 'umount /dev/cdrom'. It keeps saying the device is busy. What do I need to do to get it to eject the media? How can I enable automounting the way it does it in Mdk? Or is it part of the same issue?

TIA