Re: apt-0.6 off line usage

On 10/17/05, golfer <golfbuf@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've always used 'apt-get -d <>' to download updates and new packages
> over my dialup and then gone off line and installed with 'apt-get
> install <>'.  However, now I'm unable to do this on apt-0.6.
>
> It will do 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get -d dist-upgrade' ok, but
> after going off line, and trying 'apt-get dist-upgrade', it complains
> that it couldn't stat source package lists (/var/lib/apt/lists/<>).
> Sure enough, when I look at /var/lib/apt/lists, they are missing.
> However, the <>.deb's are available in my /var/cache/apt/archive.
>
> The only way I seem to be able to get packages installed is to go back
> on line and do the 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  For one or two packages,
> this may be ok, but it's not something I want to waste time doing
> routinely.
>
> Is this a feature of the new apt, or have I discovered a bug?  Also,
> I've tried googling and reading the man pages, but find no helpful
> tips.

OK, I've just discovered that running 'apt-get update' while off line
wipes clean the files in /var/lib/apt/lists .. even though the last
line says that it is using the old versions since it can't update.
So, the bug seems to be associated with that action.

I'll keep using this to see if I can narrow down the problem further.

Has anyone else noticed this?  It's definitely a change from apt < 0.6.

bye,