Re: Lucy & the Football

george5@georgesbasement.com wrote:

>This email is about Mozilla-thunderbird...
>
>I used apt-get to
>retrieve it and install it from the debian.org server.  Went in
>very smoothly, and in less than five minutes I had configured it
>and downloaded 150 messages from my SpamCop.net popmail server.
>
>Then a couple of problems surfaced:
>
>1. The menu items highlight to white on white.

Quite odd.

Are you pulling from Sarge (Stable), Etch (Testing), or Sid (Unstable)?

What window manager/environment are you using? Try another; does the
problem still exist?

>2. The second time I opened Thunderbird, it was empty, and the
>Install Wizard wanted all my data all over again.  150 messages
>vanished ... but it had let me do the setup all by myself without
>a peep of complaint.

Extremely odd. This should not happen.

It sounds like your profile got lost.

You looked opened T-bird as the same user both times, right? Do you have
any weirdness about your account, such that you have two users with the
same uid, or an improper symlink to another directory within your
directory, or a chrooted account, or file permissions wrong on some part
of your directory, etc?

How did you open T-bird both times? Was one time from a terminal maybe,
and the second time from an icon?

Are you mounting your home directory on a separate partition/network
drive/USB jump drive/etc? Perhaps the second start of T-bird was when
you home wasn't (or was) mounted properly.

Did you reboot between attempts?

>3. I looked up on the Mozilla-Thunderbird website to find out
>where my Inbox is stored (ostensibly so I can back it up) but the
>instructions bear no resemblance whatsoever to the menus and
>organization of _my_ Thunderbird install.

It has changed throughout the versions; I believe the current location
is now somewhere under ~/.mozilla-thunderbird, but don't trust me on that.

It'll be there, or under ~/.mozilla, or under ~/.thunderbird. Look in
each of the places, and drill down until you find things like
"abook.mab" and "Mail".

(BTW, the folks on this list who are the real experts are liable to pass
by a non-descriptive subject line like "Lucy & the Football"; although
it's witty, there's enough traffic on this list that if a subject line
doesn't interest the members, the posting may just be skipped over. Just
a thought.)

--
KKent