Lucy & the Football

My previous posting regarding mounting the newly installed
hard drive was helped quite a lot with the advice I read
here ... thank you very much.  There's a superb way of finding
out all about an unknown drivge, and that's "sudo cfdisk /dev/hdd"
whereupon it told me the names of all the drive's partitions,
there file types, etc.  So now I have three hard drives on the
system, all working, more or less.  More about cleaning them
up later.

This email is about Mozilla-thunderbird.  I was startled to find
that the Mozilla that Debian installed on my 'puter had no email
client, so I searched around a little, found out that Thunderbird
is preferred by a plurality of users, and so I used apt-get to
retrieve it and install it from the debian.org server.  Went in
very smoothly, and in less than five minutes I had configured it
and downloaded 150 messages from my SpamCop.net popmail server.

Then a couple of problems surfaced:

1. The menu items highlight to white on white.
2. The second time I opened Thunderbird, it was empty, and the
Install Wizard wanted all my data all over again.  150 messages
vanished ... but it had let me do the setup all by myself without
a peep of complaint.
3. I looked up on the Mozilla-Thunderbird website to find out
where my Inbox is stored (ostensibly so I can back it up) but the
instructions bear no resemblance whatsoever to the menus and
organization of _my_ Thunderbird install.
4. There's a connection between (1) and (2) of course.

Where _is_ my Inbox now ?

Thanks,
George Langford