Re: How to use old CPUs (Not Debian Specific)

Good afternoon:

I think this exchange sparked more discussion than Brendan anticipated. It caught me, that's for sure.

Another few benefits of keeping old CPU's going hit me yesterday (after buying a brand new battery for an 80386 motherboard -- the kind you have to solder on!): i) To the spouse: Hey hon! I gotta get me a soldering iron for the workshop. How much? Well, a couple of bucks. Why? Well, without it you won't be able to use the old box anymore and if you want to keep playing that game, we'll have to pop for a new computer -- they're only around 200 bucks, ya know! BONUS 1

ii) From my 6 and 7 year old kids: Hey Dad, what's that pencil thing with the plug. Well, kids that let's me "glue" pieces of metal together. Cool. Can you show us. Sure, in fact, I'm learning too. Let's practice on this computer board thing, how's that? And hey, if we kill the board, so what. It's worth less than the soldering iron is. You'll likely never use this board in your entire lives, but from now on, you'll know that it's possible to stick metal together AND you'll know how. BONUS 2

BONUS 1 is tongue and cheek, obviously. However, I know that I've got "handier" with things (not just tools, but concepts, etc.) during my explorations into computer dinosaurs than I would have slapping down some green when something was too old for me. And I've been able to carry that knowlege to other (unrelated) projects. And buy lotsa tools and parts to play with!

BONUS 2 is really important: my kids get to learn something new from me -- as I'm learning it. With no tears if somethings borks and dies and only a good feeling if it works.

Just a few more cents to add.

Rob