Re: removing a module

Hello

n4s33r.16931225@bloglines.com (<n4s33r.16931225@bloglines.com>) wrote:

> Sorry for this totally n00b question, but how do I remove a module
> that I have installed ?
>
> I installed the ipw2100 module for wireless on my laptop
> from source but I cannot unload it. modprobe -r ipw2100 also does not
> work.

rmmod and modprobe -r unload the module from the running kernel. They do
not deinstall anything from your harddrive.

> What is the standard method to remove a module ?

That depends on how you installed the module. If you compiled everything
yourself, try to run make uninstall in the source directory. If that
doesn't work, look for the module in /lib/modules/`uname -r`.

By the way, I recommend you install the ipw stuff using
module-assistant. Debian includes prepackaged source debs, and
module-assistant can automatically install kernel headers, build the
module, create a debian package with the module and install it.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976