Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix

%% William Ballard <nospam_50916@alltel.net> writes:

  wb> OpenBSD makes a smokin firewall.  One floppy, an old P90 laptop w/
  wb> 90MB of ram, a few questions, a few lines of pf.conf, and I
  wb> haven't touched it in a year.  Absolutely rock solid.  It makes
  wb> Linux look absolutely amateur for that sort of thing.

I don't know why you say that.

My gateway/firewall runs Debian stable, completely headless.  I don't
even have a terminal hooked to the serial port, that's how little I need
a console.

It's a P100 with 32M of RAM, and two 10/100 NIC cards.  It also has my
printer hooked up to the parallel port.  It has in the past had a
wireless card in it but currently does not.

Runs full firewall/gateway, dnsmasq for DHCP for my local LAN, plus
Samba for printing and file sharing between my wife's XP laptop and my
kids' XP minitower, and my Linux workstation, and whatever other
hardware guests etc. bring in.

I installed it over THREE YEARS ago and I haven't needed to touch it
since, other than for software updates, for which I've always been able
to use SSH / apt-get dist-upgrade.

If I didn't turn it off whenever we went on vacation for a week or more,
it would have an uptime of three years: it's literally never choked once
during normal processing.

OpenBSD is great, no question.  But Debian GNU/Linux should by no means
be categorized as amateur, IMO.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortel.com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
        These are my opinions--Nortel takes no responsibility for them.