Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| On (13/10/05 20:43), William Ballard wrote:
|
| To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
| From: William Ballard <nospam_50916@alltel.net>
| Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:43:35 -0400
| Subject: Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix
|
| On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 08:28:12PM -0400, Chris Humphries wrote:
| > +------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| > | On (13/10/05 19:55), William Ballard wrote:
| > |
| > | To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
| > | From: William Ballard <nospam_50916@alltel.net>
| > | Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:55:05 -0400
| > | Subject: Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix
| > |
| > |
| > | Nor am I.  But I heard that said "we don't care if anybody uses it but us" comment a
| > | couple years ago and I thought it was a good idea.  Of course the OpenBSD people (all
| > | 5000 of 'em) wonder why anybody would use that flash-in-the-pan Linux after all.
| > |
| > | So Debian is already a little bit pregnant :-)
| > |

| > Making cracks at OpenBSD (with FUD) is not appropriate. Blanket statements
| > like that do more harm than good, especially when they do not apply.
| >
| > Please lets keep cracking on others off the list. Lets try to keep this
| > somewhat appropriate :)
| >
| > If you (second person plural) have done any kernel programming and auditing
| > with linux and openbsd kernels, you would appreciate the beauty, simplicity,
| > and correctness that exists in the openbsd kernel code, which is quite the
| > opposite in Linux, though most everything "works".
|
| I wasn't cracking on OpenBSD.  I don't think you parsed my post correctly; maybe I
| wasn't clear enough: I of course recognize nice OpenBSD is.  It has crappy hardware
| support.

That is true. It is lacking hardware support for many things, for several
reasons:

1) not enough man power, that is pretty much the big thing there.
2) Theo wanting to keep the kernel license clean (not 'taint')
3) No closed source drivers
4) Lack of vendor support to help, such as simple things like hardware
   documents.

Linux just doesn't have those problems. But it is what it is :)

I do have OpenBSD up for company firewalls using pf, pf-sync, and CARP.
Best firewall out there + ability to sync firewall rules between more than
one server + ability to have firewall failover without losing state and
connections (you can blow a hole thru one firewall and the other will pick
up the slack and you will not notice any difference).

| I guess you could have parsed my words two different ways.  Trust me, I was coming from
| where you were.

My mistake then :)