Reformat USB Mass Storage mp3 player

My daughter's 64mb Mini-k mp3 player has just died and giving an error 'reformat to FAT16'. Neither fdisk or parted will access the drive giving i/o read and unable to read partition table errors. Tried googling without success/

dmesg gives the follwoing when the device is plugged in.

usb 2-6: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: Digital   Model: MP3 Music Player  Rev: 0100
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 04
sdc: Unit Not Ready, sense:
: Current: sense key: Hardware Error
    Additional sense: Logical unit failure
Info fld=0x0
sdc : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdc : status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=08
sd: Current: sense key: Hardware Error
    Additional sense: Logical unit failure
Info fld=0x0
sdc: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through

<snip repeated sensing errors>

 /dev/scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0:<4>printk: 68 messages suppressed.
Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
 unable to read partition table
Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi6, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

I'm assuming this means the hardware has failed.

If anyone thinks otherwise and can offer an help it would be appreciated.

TIA

Wackojacko