Re: Command line reference

If you know what do you want to do, and think is programable, then I think
your best bet is google for it, or ask on list.

In many ways, one of the many purposes of the lists is to act as a very basic low-level interpreter between a user and the computer. Too much, maybe. I think that list traffic would be reduced somewhat and a user's grasp of what is available to him/her would be increased, if there was one place ( a dictionary?) that folks could go to at least learn the vocabulary of Debian that is available to them BEFORE hitting up the list experts.

My question is: "Is there such a web-site?"

No. Even if such a website exists, it will be out of date very soon and requires heavy maintenance. The closest solution to your problem would be the wiki - http://wiki.debian.org/ . If you want to see such a thing, just write it up there and it will pick up if there is sufficient interest.

There's a huge, in the thousands, of comand line programs on any linux
installation, and most people dont know how to use them all, if any,

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a place where ALL the commands are available to peruse either before a command is needed or when a command is needed?

It would be real nice and I was looking for that one once upon a time. I think there is a book called Debian bible (not sure about the name) - It probably lists most of the commands.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Graduate Student, MAE