Semi-OT: need to fake keyboard and mouse...

I have an old PC (600 MHz P3 with 384Mb RAM, 160Gb IDE, and DVD+-R/RW)
running Sarge.  It works great as a backup server, and I'm planning to
add Samba so that it can share some disk space with some WinXP PCs.  I'd
like to use it headless - no monitor, keyboard or mouse.  However, it
won't boot without a keyboard and there is no BIOS setting to tell it
to ignore keyboard errors.  It's in the basement in an out-of-the way
corner, and I suppose I could just leave a keyboard attached (I do
have a couple of extras), but I'd rather have a more elegant solution.

Does anyone know it there is a (simple) way to "emulate" a keyboard?
I've seen some commercial solutions but they are relatively expensive
(more than $25).  I suspect a cheap KVM switch would do the trick, but
that would also cost more than I'd like to spend and would be more
cabling that could get in the way, etc.  Ideally, if there is a way
to cut the connector off an old keyboard and modify it some way
(cross a couple of the wires, add a resistor, etc) that would be
great, but I don't want to experiment with it and chance frying the
motherboard.  Any ideas?

--
Andy Anderson
Salisbury, MD, USA

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."
                                                     - Anonymous