Re: Debian Compatable UPS?

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> > Is this thread still going on?  I thought it was resolved weeks ago.
> >
> It's going because Alvin wrote yesterday (7 oct) that APC is bad.

i didn't re-start it, if you watched the thread
	and since you like to quote dates, i replied to the post
	by hugo on Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:38:15

i added my $0.02 worth but did add just that apc's are the worst
and will not be buying any apc's as my 1st, 2nd 3rd choices

and whether you agree or not is irrelevant to the original
question of which one is debianize ..

the answer is all ups will work if you have the magic wand ( skills )

> Alvin's claim that they don't last long might be true, but here again, a
> good db for Linux is lacking. How long is a UPS supposed to last?

they don't last long for multiple reasons
	- bad battery chemistry
	- bad charger circuit
	- overload, underload, ...
 	- sell cheap to get sales and after warranty, you buy more

> Then there are the prices. I would get an APC BP500UC, that's $110. But
> Henrique reports on an APC Smartups, that's double the price, where I
> look. So what is the price performance curve?

how much is your server worth to you when the power is out
how much thunderstorms do you have
how much $$$ do you lose ...

HM> In my experience with other small UPS (< 10kVA) manufacturers, the
HM> batteries often fail, but so does the control circuirty... and nearly
HM> as often

"good" control circuits should never fail on a "good" ups
	- it should kick in when brownouts occurs
	- it should last as long as the battery allows before it
	sends the shutdown signal to whatever its trying to protect
	- it should survive microsecond's of 40KV like lightening strikes
	- it should not overcharge the battery
	- on and on ..

HV> How can that be? If the software they provide to communicate over the
HV> rs232 is m$ software?

for you, get those silly usb-based ones that cmes with the m$ sw

----

if you like debianized ups ... pretend you never saw the cdrom
and it's already debianized ...
	- just install your favorite ups battery monitoring daemons

than randomly pull the plug from the wall and see what happens

c ya
alvin